Sunday, December 4, 2016

Chapter 3: Experimentation

My Dell Venue 11 Pro running the latest version of my app
Once I shifted to using the Dell Venue 11 Pro tablet, things started working in the car, but I ran into other difficulties. For starters, I had to purchase another GPS device, one which would work with Windows 10 via USB. I found a u-blox 7 GLONASS/GPS device for a pretty good price on Amazon.
u-blox 7 GLONASS/GPS


I also spent another $4 at Goodwill Computer Works. This time, I bought an HD (720p) capable Logitech C270 Webcam. This camera turned out to be pretty capable. Most of the webcams I bought during the project were limited to 640x480 resolution while this one could handle 720p (1280x720) at 30 fps.

The Logitech C270
 Face detection at home was working okay, but I quickly discovered, in the car, it was never being triggered. So, I decided to add a couple more photo triggers. First, I set up a button on the screen. When clicked, it would cause a photo to be taken (and the corresponding location logged, of course). Also, I set up a timer. Originally, it was set for about two minutes. When it went off, the device would automatically take a photo.
This photo was taken automatically via timer.
This image was captured manually. I had the Dell on the front seat next to me while I was driving, and I could tap a button to quickly snap a photo from the camera.


I even experimented with having the timed photos take a sequential batch. My thinking, at the time, was to turn those batches into animated .gifs. The results were fun, but I ultimately decided not to pursue this option.
An animated GIF based on the sequential photos I was taking from the timer.


 

No comments: