Sunday, December 4, 2016

Chapter 1: What if...?

In one of my classes recently, we were talking about privacy and facial recognition technology. We watched a very interesting video showcasing some of the facial recognition capabilities available today.



I had recently been playing with a Raspberry Pi, and this inspired me to wonder what kind of facial detection and recognition capabilities someone like myself, a student, could create using cheap off the shelf components. At about this same time, in a different class, we were given the details for a final semester project. Inspiration struck, and One Way Meetings was born.

The original idea was to install a Raspberry Pi running Windows 10 IoT along with a GPS device and webcam in my car. We had a family vacation coming soon to visit some friends, and I wondered how many faces it could detect, using standard Microsoft API face detection routines, from the back window. I figured I could log those faces, along with GPS locations, and create an experimental locative media documentary of our journey.


No comments: