Sunday, December 4, 2016

Chapter 2: Raspberry Pi, Windows 10, and Me

Over the next couple of weeks, as our vacation approached, I scrambled to get my device working. I found a webcam for $4 at the local Goodwill Computer Works store which functioned with Windows 10 IoT (This is actually pretty amazing because there are only about four webcams Windows 10 IoT claims to be compatible with).
$4 is a pretty good deal for one of these. They are quite a bit more on Amazon.

I also purchased a GPS module, a u-blox NEO 6M, from Amazon.com which I wired up to my Pi.

My Raspberry Pi 2 connected to the u-blox NEO 6M
I tested my contraption at home with optimistic results. So, I decide to take it out and try it in my car. I employed a USB battery charging pack to run the Pi.

The inside of my Raspberry Pi box along with the GPS module and the 7" display
The Raspberry Pi along with the USB Battery module.

Unfortunately, it was at this time things started to go wrong. I never determined exactly what the cause was. I think it was either too few amps for the whole contraption or a corrupted SD card. Either way, I started routinely getting the following screen:
The most frustrating screen in the world. Intermittent, even after reinstalling Windows 10 a couple of times, it wouldn't completely go away.
As the time for trip was approaching, I eventually gave up on using the Raspberry Pi in the car for the project. I just didn't have time to get it working robustly. So, I shifted to using my old Dell Venue 11 Pro.

This is a near final version of my UWP (Universal Windows Platform) app running on my Pi before I gave up.

No comments: